What Is Next?
Last Sunday we had the privilege of witnessing the baptism of twenty members in our congregation here at PEC. It was truly a blessing! The joy and excitement of all involved was a life event for many of us. The preparation and build up to last Sunday was evident in the classes held, testimonies written, interviews held and godly encouragement as they went through this process.
The one thing I noticed was the actual baptism portion for each person was quite quick. As many big life events throughout our lives the time it takes to do them is relatively short. For example, the actual birth of a child is not that long, the pregnancy is much longer. Graduation from school or university is a short ceremony compared to the amount of hours doing homework, studying for exams and attending these institutions. The presentation and hoisting of the Stanley Cup is a few hours celebration compared to the hours of games and practices. How about a wedding, the actual marriage ceremony lasts around a half hour compared to the lifetime of living it out.
So it is with salvation. Becoming a follower of Christ is recognition that we are lost sinners. Sometimes arriving at that conclusion is a long road. The actual confession of sins and receiving Christ is brief, and the actual entrance of Christ into our lives is instantaneous. And so it is with baptism.
Now begins the time of living out the life of faith in God as a baptized believer. As all of us that obeyed the Lord’s commandment to be identified with Him through the water of baptism, we all assume a responsibility to be faithful and to walk before God and other people in a way that reflects the character of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Five of those were from our English congregation and our responsibility as their brothers and sisters is to support, encourage and walk with them in their lives. They also assume that role in our lives as we mutually journey this life together.
In my message on Sunday afternoon I had a number of points and scriptures which I only touched on. I would like to put them down here for all of us to be reminded WHAT IS NEXT. My notes are divided into two sections: “Things to Remember” and “Things to Do”. My prayer is that these will help all of us in our walk with the Lord.
I. THINGS TO REMEMBER
A. YOU ARE A NEW CREATURE...
1. By virtue of being in Christ - 2 Corinthians 5:17
2. Having been raised with Christ to walk in newness of life -Romans 6:3-4
B. SPIRITUAL GROWTH...
1.Walk in Him. Rooted in Christ. - Colossians 2:6-7
2. Grow in grace & knowledge. - 2 Peter 3:18
C. BE AWARE...
1. We can “tossed about” by wrong teaching. Ephesians 4:14
2. Satan often strikes hardest at the beginning of our service
3. Stand firm - 1 Peter 5:8-9
D. YOU ARE TO BE A GOOD EXAMPLE...
1. An example of those who believe - 1 Timothy 4:12
II. THINGS TO DO
A. PUT GOD FIRST...
1. Love Him with all your being - Matthew 22:37
2. Seek first His kingdom and righteousness - Matthew 6:33
B. STUDY THE WORD OF GOD...
1. Crave for the Word, like an infant longs for milk - 1 Peter 2:2
2. Emulate the Bereans in their attitude - Acts 17:11
C. BE FERVENT IN PRAYER...
1. Jesus has made it possible to approach God's throne - Hebrews 4: 14-16
2. Wonderful blessings come through prayer - Philippians 4:6-7
3. Be devoted to prayer, with an attitude of thanksgiving - Colossians 4:2
D. BE COMMITTED TO CHURCH...
1. A place of encouragement, accountability and love. Hebrews 10:24-25
2. It is a time for fellowship, prayer, and on the first day of
the week, the Lord's Supper - Acts 2:42, Acts 20:7 (first day of the week)
E. TELL OTHERS ABOUT CHRIST...
1. The Lord wants His disciples to make more disciples - Matthew 28:19-20